What is pastoral care?
Pastoral Care is the extension of Christian love, help and support to provide comfort and caring in times of grief, illness, family or personal crisis, and practical assistance to those in need.
How is pastoral care provided?
Pastoral Care is provided by an enthusiastic team of volunteers who are committed to providing pastoral service to our congregation.
What does the Pastoral Care Team do?
The Team works with the minister(s) to:
- Visit members who are sick in hospital, home or a long term care setting
- Provide meals on a temporary basis for members who are sick
- Telephone or visit members who are experiencing some form of loss, crisis, or difficult time in their lives
- Send cards to acknowledge births, deaths, illness and significant family events
- Ensure team members doing visitation receive 10 week training in Pastoral Care
- Encourage team members to take further education and keep updated.
How can I help?
You can help by informing the Team of anyone you know in the congregation who is in need of Pastoral Care. If you would like to be part of the Pastoral Care Team or to volunteer your services for some of the Team's activities, speak to any team member or leave your name with the church office.
How does someone in need contact the Pastoral Care Team?
There are many ways to contact the Pastoral Care Team:
- Talk to Team members directly at church. You will know who they are by the white ribbon in their lapel.
- Telephone the church office at (613) 820-8103.
- Email the church office at email@example.com.
- Write your request on a Pastoral Care Request Form and place it in the Prayer Box located on the table in the alcove in the Main Entranceway.
A member of the Team or the minister will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
Requests for prayer are made by completing a form (located beside the locked prayer box in the alcove in the Main Entranceway) and placing the form inside the box. You may also telephone or speak to any member of the Pastoral Care Team to make your prayer request or contact the church office at (613) 820-8103 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Utmost confidentiality is observed at all times.
Did you know?
The Pastoral Care Team is represented at the Queensway-Carleton Hospital. One member of their Pastoral Care Team makes visits on a weekly basis to patients from our church as well as patients who have indicated they are members of a particular United Church. These visits are made on behalf of BCUC's pastoral care programme and outreach to the community.