Ministry in the Bells Corners area began with circuit ministers visiting with local families in the early 1820's. In 1851, the first regular ministry of the Presbyterian Church began in Bells Corners. In 1853, a Union Church was built by the Anglicans, Methodists and Presbyterians on land donated by the early Irish settler, Hugh Bell; this land is the present site of the Bells Corners Union Cemetery. It was the only building to survive the great fire of 1870.
The Presbyterians bought out the interests of the other Congregations, and in 1898 built the Drummond Church on what is now known as Robertson Road, using some of the stone from the original church. This building is now a spa. In 1925, this Presbyterian Congregation joined the United Church of Canada and became Bells Corners United Church (BCUC).
The year 1960 brought great changes to the Bells Corners community as it grew rapidly and this also marked the call of the first full time ordained minister to BCUC. The Drummond church was now much too small. Construction of the present-day building started in the spring of 1962 and the new sanctuary, offices and hall were dedicated on December 2nd, 1962. The planning for the second stage of our building program began in 1965. This resulted in the construction of the northern wing in the summer of 1969, and dedication on October 15th, 1969.
In 2005, the Congregation agreed to the addition of a new entrance to the Church building, and renovation of the existing narthex and balcony. The new structure was officially dedicated on June 4, 2006.
While the building has been evolving, so too has the congregation. Every few years, we gather to review where we are and consider our goals. In 2015, we formed a team to research and come up with a vision for 2020. This culminated in hiring a consultant to help establish a plan to reach that vision.